How TELUS transformed their direct sales experience
How TELUS transformed their direct sales experience with Door2Door sales mobile application on Salesforce
TELUS is Canada’s fastest-growing national telecommunications company, with $11.4 billion of annual revenue and 13.3 million customer connections, including 7.8 million wireless subscribers, 3.3 million wireline network access lines, 1.4 million Internet subscribers and 815,000 TELUS TV customers.
TELUS provides a wide range of communications, products and services, including wireless, data, Internet protocol (IP), voice, television, entertainment and video. In early 2013, Traction was approached by TELUS with a need to improve their Direct Sales channel technology. At the time, TELUS was faced with several specific challenges with this channel that were resulting in inefficient customer service and internal processes.
“It was an instant connection between the TELUS and Traction project teams. We gelled from day one which laid a foundation for an open, honest and efficient partnership. ”Direct Sales Tablet Project Team, TELUS
- Inability to measure regional effectiveness: TELUS had been unable to determine how many customers were contacted or what the reasons were for a non-sale. This impeded decision-makers and caused difficulties when evaluating performance.
- Inconsistent measures of performance: TELUS lacked the ability to effectively measure the performance of their agents because they had no means of collecting data necessary for such an analysis.
- Inefficient sales process costing TELUS time and money: Loose data and subjective, non-empirical evaluations were adversely influencing decision-making.
- Rate of sales lost from signing to confirmation was too high: Sales were being lost within the duration of time between the customer signing a contract with a Direct Sales agent and the time the customer was contacted by a TELUS agent.
- Lack of visibility into customers’ current services and eligibility for programs: Without recording and viewing current customer data, up-selling and campaigning was exceedingly difficult as Direct Sales agents lacked the data they needed to cater to their customers' specific needs.
Traction proposed a mobile tablet application that would replace TELUS’ paper contracts as the primary tool of the Door2Door (D2D) agents. The app would be integrated with Salesforce Sales Cloud so that data could be pulled from TELUS’ records and then sent back with updated information through the capture of real-time data and contracts. This data would then be instantly created and queued for TELUS' back office and customer credit verification.
The solution was designed to:
- Significantly improve the performance of this channel by reducing the time taken for a TELUS rep to contact the customer.
- Capture knock data that would give TELUS better visibility and decision-making capabilities.
- Capture greater accuracy of information and reduce manual processes.
- Leverage DocuSign for e-signatures and expedite the order process.
- Leverage an integration with Google Maps for address and dwelling identification and confirmation.
“Traction heard what we wanted to solve and listened to our creative vision and blue sky ideas, which in turn they have helped bring to fruition.”Direct Sales Tablet Project Team, TELUS
- TELUS is experiencing an in increase in the quality of Leads and Opportunities based on greater real-time customer data (i.e. knowing any existing eligible services for each customer before actual interactions).
- An increase in sales agent productivity has also followed the improvement in measurement capability through geolocational opportunity targeting.
- Allocation of resources is also more targeted. Better customer interactions are leading to greater customer lifetime value.
- Sales reps have also noted serious “cool” factor when customers interact with the application.
Data & Reporting Improvements:
- Same day order processing has lead to expedited installations and decreased service cancellations.
- The significant increase in the quality and quantity of customer data collected is resulting in better customer metrics. Customer data is more secure with the movement from paper to digital.
- Promotional materials and product updates are deployed in real-time through the Door2Door app.
Service Improvements: TELUS has seen a 3-day reduction in time from the first customer contact to booked installation appointment (from 8 days to 5 days).
Sustainability Improvements: TELUS’ is less reliant on paper products, improving their environmental standards and reducing their footprint.
“It was an instant connection between the TELUS and Traction project teams. We gelled from day one which laid a foundation for an open, honest and efficient partnership. The TELUS team was pleased that from our initial discovery sessions Traction heard what we wanted to solve with this application and listened to our creative vision and blue sky ideas, which in turn they have helped bring to fruition.” – Direct Sales Tablet Project Team, TELUS
Take a look at how TELUS' Direct Sales team is using the Door2Door application on a daily basis.