Increasing fundraising efforts by 52% with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
How LLS increased fundraising efforts by 52% with Marketing Cloud
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society® (LLS) is the largest nonprofit dedicated to creating a world without blood cancers. LLS has invested nearly $1.3 billion in groundbreaking research, and is pioneering many of today’s most innovative approaches. On top of their research breakthroughs in immunotherapy, genomics and personalized medicine, LLS is also the leading source of free information, education and support for blood cancer patients, families, survivors, families and healthcare professionals.
“Today, you can’t be a successful organization, for-profit or nonprofit, without an incredible technology backbone.”
“Today, you can’t be a successful organization, for-profit or nonprofit, without an incredible technology backbone,” said Christine Butler, VP, Creative & Constituent Engagement at LLS. “Technology, and the Salesforce platform, enables LLS to target segments with different messages—ultimately enabling us to drive critical funding needed to help more patients.”
Breaking down the silos
Prior to working with the team at Traction on Demand, LLS were working between multiple disparate systems to help manage their patient initiatives and constituent engagement.
“We’ll humbly describe ourselves as fundraising innovators, but truth be told we were also becoming really good at building siloed systems…”
“We’ll humbly describe ourselves as fundraising innovators, but truth be told we were also becoming really good at building siloed systems, which over time became a burden to our teams,” said Tom Gardner, CIO & SVP at The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
This was causing a few pain points for the LLS team:
- Disconnected constituent experience: With no single view of a constituent record, LLS staff were unable to provide a tailored experience for their donors. This resulted in a disconnected user experience and missed opportunities for LLS to identify and nurture potential recurring donors. “What’s important to us is our mission, to beat blood cancer; to fundraise, so we can support our mission; and to say thank you to all our volunteers and donors,” said Tom. “Our data was so siloed and fractured that we were unable to effectively do this.”
- Fractured Data: With no single source of truth, LLS staff were unable to effectively segment data or move towards a data-driven approach to decision making. “It’s critical that we have clean data to work with,” said Christine. “It allows us to build a personalized constituent experience, so we can provide the right information to the right person at the right time.”
- Manual processes & inefficient operations: Staff and volunteers, whose passion lies in helping others, were having to work between multiple siloed systems and were bogged down in a multitude of laborious manual tasks. “We wanted to improve the lives of our staff so they could focus on mission, not fighting systems,” said Tom.
The solution: a muti-cloud digital transformation
In the first phase of this transformation project, Traction on Demand worked with LLS to implement Salesforce Marketing Cloud to help build a more connected community, improve the constituent journey and drive fundraising initiatives to keep their life-saving research alive.
“LLS is building a best-in-class technology ecosystem to meet our mission goals – to fund more research and reach more patients, said Christine. “To do so we’re using technology smartly in two ways: to help staff improve decision making, and to centralize our data in Salesforce CRM so we can reach our constituents through Salesforce Marketing Cloud with relevant, personalized messages.”
For constituents, Salesforce Marketing Cloud:
- Improves access to resources and support
- Ensures communications are relevant and timely
- Streamlines the donor experience, saving time and effort
For LLS staff, Salesforce Marketing Cloud enables them to:
- See a single constituent view and record
- Build specific target audiences
- Improve data segmentation and sensibility
- View email send history within a single dashboard
“Traction on Demand is helping us use technology better. Now, we can make more data-driven decisions, improve efficiencies and reach our constituents in a personalized manner.”
“Overall this solution enables the team at LLS to better connect with those living with blood cancers,” said Karisa Booth, Senior Marketing Automation Architect at Traction on Demand. “With improved reporting capabilities, streamlined processes and user-friendly interface, staff and volunteers can be more efficient in the amazing work they do and patients can get the information they need, when they need it!“
Increased fundraising, furthering mission
And the results? They speak for themselves! After implementing Salesforce Marketing Cloud, LLS saw a rapid and dramatic increase in fundraising, particularly during their annual Giving Tuesday fundraising push.
“We were able to more finely segment our constituent data based on behavior, which contributed to a 52% increase in results year over year.”
“Giving Tuesday is a particularly important day for nonprofits to raise critical funds needed to fulfill their missions,” said Christine. “2020 was the first year we used Salesforce Marketing Cloud to send emails to our constituents on Giving Tuesday. We were able to more finely segment our constituent data based on behavior, which contributed to a 52% increase in results year over year.”
By gaining a 360-degree view of their constituents, LLS are now able to segment their audiences, providing a more timely, relevant, and personalized experience. Patients are receiving resources relevant to their condition, volunteers have access to all the latest news, events and programs, while donors are targeted with communications relevant to their interests.
“Prior to Marketing Cloud, our teams were working between multiple disparate systems, now we can do everything within one platform. This makes our marketing team more efficient and empowered to make a real difference in the fight against blood cancers.”
The transformation roadmap
With innovation at the core of their organization, LLS are not only leading the way in groundbreaking cancer research, but also in their ecosystem approach to cloud-based technologies. So, what’s next for the LLS team?
- Nonprofit Cloud to support fundraising, including integration with Classy for events
- Leveraging NPSP for Major Gift & Corporate teams
- Experience Cloud for a patient/constituent portal
- Increased focus on data management through improved integrations across the platform
“Traction on Demand has been a great partner in our work to build our best-in-class system. The team is super smart, professional, kind and helps us think about pain points in new ways. We’re looking forward to continuing our relationship, so we can reach more patients, fund more research and get closer to achieving our goal of creating a world without blood cancer.”
Fundraising with Salesforce Marketing Cloud
With hundreds of completed Marketing Cloud projects, spanning across a range of industries from nonprofit to financial services, our experts are looking for their next big challenge! If you’re looking to drive impact with Salesforce Marketing Cloud, get in touch with a member of our dedicated Marketing Automation team today.