UBM Advanstar uses custom event registration app to optimize their events
How UBM Advanstar is leveraging Salesforce to improve its customer experience across event touchpoints
Advanstar Communications is an event and marketing services business that serves business professionals and consumers in the Fashion, Licensing, Life Sciences and Powersports industries. Supporting 54 trade shows, 100 conferences, 30 publications and more, Advanstar supports some of the most influential and largest events in North America and Europe. Advanstar had moved onto Salesforce to better understand their customer database and the value within, and this gave them visibility into the need to improve their event registration. They turned to Traction to help them find a solution.
Advanstar's event registration was a major touchpoint for their customers, and they realized it wasn't optimized for the volume and size of the events they were supporting:
- Advanstar's pre-registration and onsite registration systems were disconnected and the collected data was being stored in separate databases.
- Their attendee payment and receipt processes were not integrated.
- Onsite registration took 5+ minutes and onsite check-in took 2+ minutes.
- There was no form of pre, intra or post-show communication tied to registration.
- Traction on Demand worked alongside Advanstar to develop a custom registration application on Salesforce. The app integrated pre-registration and onsite registration systems to provide a full 360-degree view of event attendees at all times (through real-time badge tracking and reporting functionality). The app also seamlessly integrated payment and receipt functionality to help expedite the check-in and registration processes.
- The application also included reporting and attendee tracking functionality to provide increased insight into customers. Integration with Marketo and Clicktools ensures that there is pre, intra and post-show communication with attendees and that all information is captured and collated in the customer master record.
- Since roll-out, Advanstar's custom registration application has reduced registration time by 50% and check-in time by 80%. At the Las Vegas Licensing Expo in June 2014, the application successfully checked in over 9,000 attendees in three days.
- Customer feedback on the application has been very positive. Advanstar believes the application is years ahead of the technology being used by its competitors. They say it is easy to use and has made a significant impact on the speed of registration and check-in. They're looking forward to rolling it out to their largest shows.